Monday, August 20, 2012

Laundry Room - Final

I must say, I am very proud of myself for finishing up this project so quickly.  Just one weekend and a couple evenings and it was all done.



I started with these stark white, plain and boring walls.  Chester was super excited to help paint the walls!  I gave him his very own sponge brush.  He didn't get to play with paint, but he had a blast with the paintbrush. 

Anyways... on to the decorating...
I made this valance from some cotton fabric I found at Joann's on sale for $2.99 a yard.  I got the curtain rod on sale for $3.99.  It took about 15 minutes to sew together, press, and put on the rod.  It took me 45 minutes to move the washer and dryer out so I could hang it on the wall.  haha. 

Blue, white, chocolate brown and grey!  I love them!!

To make the valance, I took a piece of fabric and folded it in half lengthwise, so I didn't have to hem the bottom.  I hemmed each side by just folding the fabric over twice and stitching, and then I created a casing at the top just a little larger than my rod.  Slide the rod through, and wallah... squarish valance.  I think it has the perfect amount of wave and boxy for the room, and the fabric matches perfectly.


If you followed my previous post, you know that I picked up some crates from Joann's and whitewashed them.  I treated them all with a matte finish sealant to prevent anything bad happening to the wood. 

Then, Chester and I worked together to hang them up.  Chester tried to hand me a screw or two, but mostly they just ended up on the floor and under the washing machine.


I pre-drilled each crate in the back with small holes where the screws would attach to the wall.  Each crate has 4 screws to make sure it supports the weight of my cleaning and laundry stuff.


Then, I hung up my key holder/chalkboard/cork board (instructions to make this in previous post) with some heavy duty screws.









 









I placed all my odds and ends on the shelves, stuck my little blue and brown circles in a random pattern all over the room, and added a teddy bear, because I love teddy bears.

It turned out pretty well if I do say so myself!  On to the next project!



No comments:

Post a Comment